Lomonosov answered the questions of TrV-Science about the Nobel Prize in Medicine.
According to our calculations, the course of higher mathematics for engineers has been cut by about three times. By the 2018/2019 academic year, with an 18-week semester, classroom instruction of students amounted to 27 hours per week. The requests of specialists from various graduating departments are constantly heard: students need to know one or another section of higher mathematics or physics. But how can this be done when there is a catastrophic shortage of teaching hours?
Diane Williams, The Collected Stories (p. 15)Rebekah FrumkinaMy favorite writer Jonathan Franzen called the American writer Diane Williams “one of the few true heroines of the American avant-garde. In her writings, the most familiar things become extremely unusual. " I confess that until recently everything I knew about Diana Williams (I hope they will excuse me for this Russianism) boiled down to the already faded impressions of her ultra-short stories. I remembered Williams in connection with the publication of a large volume of her works "The Collected Stories" …
Advice and love (p. 15)Ivan EconomovOutside the window, the weather is not very summer, but the proximity of vacation and the anticipation of leaving for the country still create a great mood. However, a sense of duty requires me not to indulge in dreams of dolce far niente, but to answer the questions that you, my dear colleagues, are asking. And they ask me, in particular, the following question: what happened to the ministerial Council for Science?
Gravitational wave everyday life (p. 16)Boris SternGravitational waves from merging black holes were first recorded in September 2015. At first, each detection of gravitational waves was a noisy event, then they got used to them. The Nobel Prize for the discovery was awarded very quickly – in 2017. In the fall of 2017, the experiment, in which, in addition to the American LIGO detectors, the Italian VIRGO participated, was temporarily suspended to improve the installations. The result at the time of stopping is 11 events …
Capital construction in specially protected natural areas of Moscow (p. 16)Vasily Ptushenko, Ksenia AvilovaThe problems of nature protection in the past (30–40 and more years ago) often rested on the inaccessibility of information. The authorities were not obliged to notify anyone about the plans of their nature-transformation projects. Now we have to. What has changed and will change this valuable circumstance in our life? At the beginning of June this year, on the public procurement website, there were messages about an open competition for the development of regulations on specially protected natural areas (SPNA) …
How to subscribe
announcement of the issue
Nobel Prizes – 2018 (p. 1-2)Artyom Korzhimanov, Dmitry Chudakov, Ravshan Ataullakhanov; NataliaThe 2018 Nobel Prize in Physics for TrV-Science is commented on by Cand. phys.-mat. Sci., the author of the popular science channel in the Telegram messenger @physh Artyom Korzhimanov. Dmitry Chudakov, head. Department of Adaptive Immunity Genomics, IBCh RAS, talks about the problems of cancer immunotherapy. Ravshan Ataullakhanov, Dr. honey. Sci., Professor of Moscow State University. Lomonosov answered the questions of TrV-Science about the Nobel Prize in Medicine.
“Academic plagiarism is not theft, but forgery” (p. 3-5)Victor Vasiliev, Ivan Kurilla, Ivan Babitsky, Sergey Zenkin, Nina Braginskaya; Natalia DeminaOn September 26, 2018, the International Scientific and Practical Conference "Problems of the Quality of Scientific Work and Academic Plagiarism" was held at the Russian State University for the Humanities. It was organized by the Institute of Higher Humanitarian Research and Dissernet. We publish fragments of only a part of the brightest performances. We will continue to publish conference materials in the next issues of TrV-Science.
Final document of the conference "Problems of the quality of scientific work and academic plagiarism""Trinity Option" onlineWe, the participants of the scientific-practical conference "Problems of the quality of scientific work and academic plagiarism", held at the Russian State Humanitarian University on September 26, 2018, state that the falsification of scientific research, the production of fake dissertations and the publication of scientific articles containing plagiarism in Russia have become rampant, destroying the national system of academic certification and discrediting the Russian scientific periodicals …
Why you shouldn’t do the social sciences (p. 6)Vladimir GelmanOn October 1, 2018, a new academic year began at EUSP. In the evening of that day, a gala evening was held at the General Staff of the Hermitage dedicated to the relaunch of the European University, to which the license to study was returned and a new recruitment of students took place. In this regard, we bring to your attention the text of the final fragment of the introductory lecture by Vladimir Gelman.
The main thing is the reputation of the Academy of Sciences (p. 7)Vladimir Zakharov, Alexander SergeevWe are publishing a fragment of the discussion on homeopathy and the fight against pseudoscience at the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences on September 4, 2018 with the participation of Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences Vladimir Evgenievich Zakharov, a member of the Commission to Combat Pseudoscience and Falsification of Scientific Research. Deciphered from video.
The Universe Before the Hot Big Bang (p. 8-9)Valery RubakovEveryone who is in any way interested in cosmology knows that in the early stages of the evolution of the Universe, the matter in it was very hot and dense, and the rate of expansion of the Universe was enormous. Perhaps less well known is that observational cosmology data irrefutably indicate that this stage, which is called the stage of the hot Big Bang (the key word here is “hot”), was not the very first, that there was still some epoch before this stage ( and possibly more than one) with radically different properties …
Spirits of Electricity (p. 9)Natalia Demina, Alexey OgnevOn October 4, 2018, the shortlist of the Enlightener award was announced at the Gilyarovsky Center. Correspondents of TrV-Science Natalia Demina and Alexey Ognev visited it.
Concerning the catch phrase of MV Lomonosov about the Russian language (p. 10-11)Vitaly ArnoldSeveral years ago, with Vitaly Arnold, we conceived to prepare a publication on the scientific foundations (or lack thereof) of the constantly inappropriate and inappropriate quoted statement of MV Lomonosov from his "Russian grammar". Initially, it was supposed to ask A. A. Zaliznyak to write about this painfully important issue for the Russian ear. However, after a conversation with Zaliznyak, V.D., who treated Andrei Anatolyevich with extreme respect, decided that it was impermissible to bother him (and in general any of the major specialists) on such a non-scientific issue …
Natalia Mavlevich: “There is nothing more exciting than reading words” (p. 12-13)Natalia Mavlevich; Alexey OgnevThe translator of French literature, thanks to which Romain Gary, Boris Vian, Lautréamont, Marc and Bella Chagall, Marcel Aimé, Emile Cioran, Philippe Lacou-Labarte and many others began to speak Russian, talks about the path to the profession, about the principles of working with the word, about favorite authors, and also shares his opinion on the political situation in Russia (we agreed on this interview at the picket in support of Oleg Sentsov at the presidential administration at the end of September).
Dunkirk c. thirteenRebekah FrumkinaFrom this point of view, the episode of World War II, which remained in historical memory as Dunkirk, is more polysemantic than just a chronicle of heroic resistance to the Nazi invasion. Dunkirk is, first of all, an act of national unity and an example of not only military, but also civil courage, thereby an example of selfless overcoming for all time.
Chemistry and chemists on coins of the world – 4. Around the world (p. 14)Ilya LeensonGerman chemist Justus von Liebig (1803–1873) was one of the most famous European chemists of the 19th century. Two silver coins were dedicated to him. The first (Ag-500, 10 marks) was issued in the GDR in 1978 on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of Liebig’s birth. Its circulation is 75.5 thousand copies, as well as 4.5 thousand copies. proof quality. In Germany, a coin in honor of Liebig was issued in 2003, to the 200th anniversary of his birth (Ag-925, 10 euros).
Infanticide in the name of a new life (p. 15)Natalia ReznikThe father, who guards the clutch, not being able to leave, swallows part of the eggs in order to gain strength and take care of the rest. But when animals destroy the clutch completely, then such an explanation does not work. Whom, then, to guard, whom to take care of? Japanese scientists became interested in the cause of the total filial cannibalism: an employee of the National Research Institute of Fisheries in Tohoku Yukio Matsumoto and an associate professor at Nagasaki University Takeshi Takegaki. The object of their study was the bleached dog Rhabdoblennius nitidus.
RFBR, Palestine and Jamaica (p. 15)Ivan EconomovRecently, a colleague came to me and began to be indignant: what is happening with the RFBR ?! This Panchenko is unknown into what the fund has turned! There is no way that the huge additional funds that the fund received this year should be thrown into the main competition! Not! Panchenko went completely ahead with his thematic show jumping. Not so long ago, my colleague continues, I went to the RFBR website, I look at the announcements of competitions. And what do I see? The first on the list is the Palestine contest …
“You have to cheerfully walk into the dark” (p. 16)Natalia DeminaOn October 6, the majority of the jury members of the VRAL-2018 anti-award expressed their opinion that the contribution of Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences Oleg Ilyich Epstein to pseudoscience is the most important. The voting took place right in front of the participants of the "Scientists Against Myths" forum held in Moscow yesterday. In the final, the Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences left far behind him (according to the votes cast by 13 jury members) at once three applicants: biologist Sergei Savelyev, historian Yevgeny Ponasenkov and farmer German Sterligov.
Belyaev Prize – 2018 (p. 16)On October 6, 2018, in the House of Culture of the city of Pushkin near St. Petersburg, a solemn ceremony of awarding the A.R. Belyaev Literary Prize took place.
How to subscribe
Alexey Ognev’s interview with Sergey Ganusevich"Trinity Option – Science" No. 1 (320), January 12, 2021
A large-scale project to create centers for breeding Red Book birds in several regions of Russia (see details in the article "Krechetov are being prepared for a high flight" in the Kommersant newspaper) can cause serious harm to natural populations, so it is necessary to establish a legislative framework and a system of environmental control, he believes Sergey Ganusevich, biologist, head of the Wildlife Rescue Center, a non-profit organization. Thanks to his efforts, about a hundred falcons of rare species (gyrfalcon, saker falcon, peregrine falcon), withdrawn from illegal circulation, have already been released into nature in Kamchatka, Altai, Yamal, Tuva and the Kola Peninsula.
– Sergey Alexandrovich, please tell me what you think about the project of creating falcon centers in different regions of Russia? The Minister of Natural Resources and Ecology said that the falcon center in Kamchatka would "help restore the population of rare birds," but bird watchers have a different point of view. What are your concerns?
– I believe that this project should be viewed from the point of view of the presumption of environmental hazard. It can harm natural populations. The project is huge, it will go to the hundredth scale of reproduction of gyrfalcons. Of course, an environmental impact assessment is needed here. This was discussed after the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok, but now everything is blurred.
Gyrfalcon is one of the species most valued by Arab falconers. Russia is the only supplier of gyrfalcones for falconry, the only source of their natural blood both for the Arab market and for nurseries in other countries. And therefore, of course, everything is aimed at obtaining legal livestock from Russia. Previously, it was exported by poaching, smuggling, and the new nurseries will allow, absolutely legally, with the permission of Rosprirodnadzor, to acquire this blood for both Arabs and other importers. I tried to oppose the plan to create a falconry center on the territory of the Gyrfalcon habitat, arguing the obvious threat to the natural population of the Gyrfalcon in Kamchatka, but the expert community did not support me.
The coherent concept of the falcon center in Kamchatka is still unknown. In the fall of 2019, I wrote two open letters to the president hoping to get clarification on this project. At first it was announced that in this nursery they would breed gyrfalcons and release them into nature. I raised a question about the origin of the broodstock, but did not receive an answer. Now everything is veiled. How will the population of the gyrfalcon be restored is not indicated anywhere.
– That is, the project is not transparent?
– Completely opaque. Moreover, it does not take into account expert opinions. Until now, in his https://123helpme.me/synthesis-essay/ crude concept, birds of prey are called "breeds". In general, complete nonsense. According to my feelings, specialists were not involved in the development of the concept. Nurseries are supposed to be opened in key nesting places of the natural population of the gyrfalcon: Kamchatka, Yamal, Sakhalin, Chukotka, Magadan Oblast, as well as Altai, where Saker falcon morphs most valued by Arab falconers live. In my opinion, this is unacceptable – the risks for natural populations are too great.
– What are the risks?
– Most likely, individuals will be removed from nature to form the livestock of the nursery, it is also possible that they be involved in illegal circulation – which could be counteracted by a proper system of control over the activities of nurseries, which is practically absent in Russia. The justifications on the part of the functionaries who open this nursery are completely unconvincing. Say, the Arabs will know that the birds from this nursery breathed the air of Kamchatka. Well, in my opinion, a very weak argument.
– And if you are smart enough to open falconry nurseries?
– If you are wise, then you shouldn’t go into the bird habitat. For example, Vitasfera, a private falconry nursery in the Moscow region, recently received CITES1 certification. Now it is the first nursery in Russia that can export captive-bred gyrfalcons and peregrine falcons.
– Some media outlets, for example "Argumenty i Fakty", bravely write that the falcon center in Kamchatka will be the first in Russia. It turns out that this is not so?
– No, this is not true. There is a whole network of falconry nurseries in Russia. Many were discovered back in the 1990s. You can treat them differently, but they are.
– And how many are there now?
– I think about a dozen rather large ones. And now individual entrepreneurs from the falconry are joining, they are organizing their own small nurseries.
– Where they are? And what kind of work is being done there?
– In the Moscow region there is a “Russian Falconry Center” at the All-Russian Research Institute of Ecology and a private nursery “Vitasfera”, which I have already mentioned; there is a nursery "Galichya Gora" in the Lipetsk region, there are nurseries in Ossetia and Altai … All of them are primarily engaged in breeding Saker Falcons with the aim of selling them to the Gulf countries, but I am sure they will soon start exporting gyrfalcons and peregrine falcons, as the secretariat of the CITES convention has already approved the export of these species from Russian nurseries.
– How big is the population of gyrfalcons in Russia?
– When I wrote an essay on the gyrfalcon for the Red Book, I estimated the minimum number of one thousand pairs. Some colleagues were opposed.